There are many types of computer network. some are closely related and may be hard to distinguish. You can connect computers, telephones and other peripheral devices in all these without necessarily having internet connection. well tackle each one by one :-
- Personal area network (PAN) – this is a computer network that is created around a single person in one particular building.
- Local area network (LAN) – this consists of a computer network of typically an individual office building or a small group of close buildings. if a local area network is wireless it is known as wireless local area network (WLAN).
- Metropolitan area network (MAN) – consists of a computer network across an entire city college or university campus or small region. when it is designed for a college its usually called campus area network (CAN)
- Wide area network (WAN) – the computer network is designed i.e for an entire country or the entire world. Internet is a good example of WAN.
- Storage area network (SAN) – This network connects servers directly to peripheral devices which store data without use of LAN or WAN. This is made possible by fiber optic technology.
- System Area Network (Cluster Area Network) – connects high performance computers with high speed connections.
- Home area network (HAN) – this is similar to PAN but at this instance multiple individuals share computers within one particular building.
- Enterprise private network (EPN) – is an built by an enterprise to connect various companies in order to share resources and allow sharing of data between offices.
- Virtual private network (VPN) – is a network that is constructed by using public wires that allows encryption to provide secure access to computers in the Internet.
All the above have merits and demerits depending on where you are. They are each designed to suite a clients need. When using wi-fi i.e wireless fidelity it should be noted only PAN,LAN & HAN are supported.