This are the equipment and systems employed in-case of emergency i.e like when a plane gets lost or crashes in order to track it, the passengers, flight crew, the pilot & co-pilot.
They include :-
- flight data recorder (FDR) – keeps history of recent history of flight in a plane i.e aircraft performance parameters. its orange in colour and is found at the top of the empennage a place engineers deem is likely to survive a plane crash.
- cockpit voice recorder (CVR) – keeps history of sounds in cockpit like pilots conversations. just like the flight data recorder its a black box that’s on the contrary orange for easy visibility in-case of an occurrence of an accident or crash and similar to it its located at the top of the empennage.
- E.P.R.I.B.S – emergency position indicating radio beacon station or better in short known as beacons or PLB i.e personal locater beacon helps find people in case of a plane crash. it transmits on the civil and possibly the military international aviation distress frequencies in case of emergency.
- flares – are used in case of emergency to send distress signal in order to get found.
- survival emergency locator transmitter (ELT) – also used to locate the survived passengers and flight crew.
- Ejection seat – used to rescue pilot or crew in case of emergency. The seat ejects and is forced out of the plane after which a parachute inside the seat is deployed to safely land and rescue the victim.
- airplane airbags – are found in seats and safety belts to minimize crash impact and save people lives.
- uninterruptible autopilot – like the boeing honeywell uninterruptible autopilot i.e its a system designed to take control of an aircraft away from the pilot in the event of a hijacking incidence. its activated by the pilot, sensors or remotely via satellite or radio link by FAA and safely designates itself to a specific airstrip to avoid terrorist control of flight.
- crash position indicator (CPI) – is a radio beacon ejected from a plane when it crashes. this ensures that even if the plane catches fire or sinks it can still be located.
- DME torch – high powered torch found in air cabin in case of loss of aircraft electricity.it is also used by flight attendant to ensure that the cabin area is clear of passengers before departure.
- escape crew capsule – this is a device that allows the pilot to escape the craft once it undergoes danger.
- Escape pod – is different in construction but is used for the same purpose as escape crew capsule.
- evacuation slide – is used to evacuate passengers quickly. it looks like an inflated slide balloon and is packed and held within the door structure inside the slide bustle next to the girt.
- over wing exits – This gives exit to passengers onto the wings after which they proceed to slide onto trailing edge extended flaps.
- Aircraft emergency oxygen systems – used when aircraft pressurization has failed and altitude is above safe level. Oxygen masks are deployed from compartments near passenger seats, lavatories e.t.c. from an chemical oxygen generator or a high pressure gaseous system
- Towed pinger locator – this have the capability to locate submerged aircraft and are mounted on the flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorders.
- underwater locator beacon (ULB) – its also known as underwater acoustic beacon. just like the towed pinger locator its also attached to the flight data recorder (FDR) and cockpit voice recorder (CVR).it transmits a utrasonic pulse to enable detection under water.